Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Berg runs crazy warm and then stalls

Despite my best efforts, including wrapping the exhaust, lining the underside of the gas tank, installing the fan kit, and running engine ice, the bike still gets too hot. Though I succeeded in stopping the radiators from boiling over, the fuel was still overheating, causing it to expand and lead to failure of the OEM fuel pump. I have come to realize this is a known issue, to which Husaberg has responded by replacing the problematic fuel pumps.

Mine was problematic. On one terrible ride in the woods, the fuel pump seized after 30 minutes of tight woods riding, the bike stalled and I crashed backwards down a hill into a dry creek bed. After 20 minutes of cooling, it would start again, only to stall again after 10 minutes. This cycle would repeat itself at least 5 more times before the end of the ride.

Painful.

So I bought this - CA Cycleworks fuel pump (http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/fp-hus). Apparently this little number is the cure for all my problems. And so far it has been.

Warm rides, single track, sweating my ass off. The bike doesnt hiccup.

But it does still run pretty warm, so I think next I need to remap the FI system so it runs a little less lean and hot...

The solution to Husaberg vapor lock.